The Referral Coordinator is responsible for the effective management of all incoming specialist referrals. Utilizes a high degree of accuracy in obtaining and verifying that all registration data, demographic and insurance information is correct and up to date. Acts as liaison between Agape Family Health and other healthcare providers while exhibiting and utilizing a high level of customer services skills.
- Demonstrates excellent patient relations skills on the phone and in-person, e.g. cheerfully greet patients, engages all patients in a genuine, warm and caring manner.
- Ensure complete and accurate patient demographics and current insurance information.
- Processes patient referrals to specialty providers as appropriate per provider orders within the Electronic Health Records.
- Obtain authorizations for patient referrals to specialists, diagnostic testing and procedures. Advise physician if authorization request is denied.
- Reviews details and expectations about the referral with patients.
- Maintain ongoing tracking and appropriate documentation on referrals by recording all referrals into referral log book, transitioning to EHR documentation as available.
- Acts as a resource for patients or providers who have questions or problems relating to referrals.
- Ensure that referrals are addressed in a timely manner, prioritizing urgent items appropriately.
- Identify and utilize cultural, language and community resources. Establish and maintain relationships with identified service providers.
- Maintains regular consistent attendance, punctuality, and adherence to applicable health and safety procedures.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) REQUIRED
- Recognizes the needs and concerns of people within their cultural framework, and maintains constructive relationships in dealing with them during triage.
- Ability to be nice and friendly to our patients.
- Ability and willingness to be flexible to travel to other sites as appropriate.
- Ability to prioritize duties, perform them efficiently and adjust to and accept the unexpected.
- Excellent skills in spelling and grammar.
- Excellent telephone manners and etiquette.
- Knowledge of various insurance plans such as Medicaid, Medicare and private insurances.
- Ability to complete assigned projects and meet deadlines.
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times
- Maintain professional attire
- Complete continued education/training requirements
- Report to work on time and as scheduled
- Wear identification while on duty
- Represent the organization in a positive and professional manner at all times
- Comply with all organizational policies and standards regarding ethical business practices
- Communicate the mission, ethics and goals of the organization
- Participate in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement activities
Education and Experience:
- Minimum high school degree
- Strong understanding of cultural competency with the target population
- Prior experience in a clinical setting preferred
- Knowledge of medical terminology and coding preferred.
- Computer literacy
PATIENT CENTERED MEDICAL HOME (PCMH)
- Expected to proactively collaborate and integrate with members of their team, other departments and directorates to achieve optimal care for Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) model.
- Actively participates in PCMH Team huddles
- Promotes effective communication with staff, patients, families, and between other departments.
- Prepares patient electronic health record and other appropriate forms prior to patient’s appointment
- Utilizes automated programs and information technology tools to facilitate the patient experience.
- Data entry for population health metrics and health promotion
- Assist in maintaining and updating patient registries
- Utilizes the patient’s preferred method of communication to provide integrative and comprehensive care
- Utilizes clinic available tools for proactive patient management of their health care needs. It is expected he/she will participate in updating patient data by utilizing communication and management tools (i.e., Athena computer system).
Job type: Full – time
Schedule: Monday – Friday
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance